Your responsibilities

With all building work, the owner of the property (or land) in question is ultimately responsible for complying with the relevant planning rules and building regulations (regardless of the need to apply for planning permission and/or building regulations approval or not).

Therefore, failure to comply with the relevant rules will result in the owner being liable for any remedial action (which could go as far as demolition and/or restoration). The general advice is to always discuss your proposals with Beeston Architectural Services or the relevant Local Planning Authority and Building Control Service before starting work.


Most new buildings or major changes to existing buildings or to the local environment need consent - known as planning permission. Without a planning system everyone could construct buildings or use land in any way they wanted, no matter what effect this would have on other people who live and work in their area.

Your local planning authority is responsible for deciding whether a development - anything from an extension on a house to a new shopping centre - should go ahead.

Do you need Approval?

This is an impossible subject to be able to give 'general advice' on as there are so many variables to take into account, for example, where the property is located, the type of property, the size and type of the proposed alterations or extensions etc. Therefore it is highly recommended to seek advice from Beeston Architectural Services, The Planning Portal or your Local Planning Authority prior to commencing any building work. The Planning Portal is an excellent resource relating to all aspects of building work. Clicking the link above will take you to their interactive section where you can further investigate whether you need Planning permission for your project or not.

Even if you do not require Planning Approval, if you are employing the services of a builder, you will require 'working' drawings to enable the builder to provide you with an accurate quote for the works and to be able to apply for Building Regulation Approval.